University of Manchester
- Ongoing: PhD International Politics – ESRC Fully Funded Studentship.
Thesis Title: Beyond Borders? Security, Mobility & Identity in the Enlarged EU & Its Eastern Neighbourhood.
- 2009 – 2010: MA in International Politics (International Relations Research Route)
University of Bath & Charles University Prague (2002-2003)
- 2002 – 2003: MA in Contemporary European Studies (EUROMASTERS)
University of Sheffield (1998-2001)
- 1998 – 2001: BA (Hons) Economics, 2:1
– Critical Security, Terrorism and Political Violence Studies
– Studies of Citizenship, Migration and (Human) Rights
– Studies of Critical Methods and the Politics of Knowledge
Specific research interests
– Borders as the Intersection of Security, Mobility & Identity in Europe
– Spatial, Social & Temporal Politics of Postcommmunism in (Central & Eastern) Europe
– Critical Pragmatism: Experience Near Theorising, Policy Near Research
ESRC Fully Funded PhD Project: ‘Borders Beyond Control: Security, Mobility & Identity in the Enlarged EU & Its Eastern Neighbourhood.
- (2013) ‘Chiasmatic Crossings: A Reflexive Revisit to a Research Encounter in European Security’, Security Dialogue (44), pp.73-89 (co-authored with Xymena Kurowska). 11th, 19th and 10th most read article in Security Dialogue archive April-June 2013.
- (2009) ‘EUBAM – Beyond Border Monitoring?’, European Journal of Foreign Affairs (14), pp. 47-64 (co-authored with Xymena Kurowska)
- (2013) EU Borders, Limit Fetish & The Squeezed Ukrainian Middle: How Security and Fundamental Rights Agendas Combine to Limit Mobility for Ukrainians, 8th Pan European Conference on International Relations, Warsaw
- (2013) Brutalised Brutalism: A Politics of Architectural Memory and Postcommunist Subjectivity in Czech Republic, 8th Pan European Conference on International Relations, Warsaw
- (2013) Stuck in the Middle with You: Critical Pragmatism and Intersubjective Authenticity in Central & Eastern European Security Research, 8th Pan European Conference on International Relations, Warsaw (co-authored with Xymena Kurowska)
- (2013) ‘A Moveable East: Lines Traces & Tidemarks in the Borderscapes of the Enlarged EU & Its Eastern Neighbourhood’ International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, (April, San Francisco, USA).
- (2012) Panel Convened: ‘Into the Borderscape: Operationalising the Concept of the Borderscape, featuring Prem Kuma Rajaram, Mark Salter, Can Mutlu, Julien Jeandesboz and Xymena Kurowksa, International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, (April, San Diego, USA).
- (2012) ‘Into the Borderscape: Towards a Geopolitical Ethnography International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, (April, San Francisco, USA).
- (2011) ‘Scaling the Digital Fortress: Control as Power & Resistance in the Emerging Hypersocial World, International Studies Association Annual Conference, (March, Montreal, Canada).
- Eastern Promises Gone West? The Spatial, Temporal and Social Lives of EU Borders in Central & Eastern Europe – ISA 2014, Toronto
- Sixth Senses and Fifth Columns: A Practitioner Turned Researcher Returns to the Field of European Security – ISA 2014, Toronto
- Panel Convened: Putting Research in its Place: Critical Pragmatism and the Negotiation of Proximity in the Production of Useful Knowledge. Chair Cecilia Lynch; Discussant J.Peter Burgess – ISA 2014, Toronto
Keywords: Borders; Security; Central & Eastern Europe; EU; Postcommunism;
GTA at Manchester for
– POLI 10601: Introduction to International Politics
– POLI 20711: Politics of Globalisation
– POLI 20722: The Politics of Development
I have guest lectured on courses in Political Violence, Political Geography (University of Manchester) and International Relations (VSE Prague).
At Anglo American University, Prague I taught on courses on MA & BA courses on IR Theory, Security Studies, Critical Approaches to Politics and Architecture, Politics & The City.
I write journalistic pieces on contemporary politics, security and international relations as well as on contemporary art, architecture, culture and the politics of memory and have been published in various UK and European magazines, newspapers and websites. A selection of my writing is available on my blog ‘Torn Curtain’.
Previously I worked as a strategic analyst and advisor for EU and OSCE security missions in the Balkans and former Soviet Union.